My Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Reposting My Technical Writer Resume

One of my classmates once told me that she would like to post her articles written in one of our masters classes because she exerted her best in all her writings. I asked her what kept her from doing it. Then she asked me if it was ok to do it. I asked her, what's holding her back. After that conversation, she posted her articles one at a time daily.

That being said, I posted my resume a few weeks ago because I felt proud of it after off-shore companies replied to my applications. The following day, I took it out because I felt so egotistical then.

One time, my friend commented that she was impressed with my resume. I told her what I did. She told me it was ok because we'll never know who will view it and eventually uproot me from the Philippines. So, here is the re-appearance of my resume

My Cover Letter

I would like to apply to the Web Technical Writer job vacancy posted in your Web site. I am qualified for the job becuase I have the relevant work experience and I strive for continuous self-improvement.

In my present job, I prepare marketing collaterals such as print ads, flyers, posters and tarpaulins which includes writing text messages and designing graphics. I layout newsletters. I also interview key officials in the preparation of creative briefs for documentation purposes.

Prior to this, I documented, researched, prepared layout and edited articles for various Web sites and publications at a top university in Metro Manila. In the duration of my stay, I never missed a scheduled promotion. I was also a consistent Perfect Attendance Awardee. In my last school year of service, I was a member of the office Excellence Award Committee. In the school years 2004-2006, I was elected secretary of the DLSU IT Personnel Assembly.

I was also a copy editor/graphics artist for a major textbook publishing house before joining the university. The job included processing Math, Science and Computer textbooks and teachers’ manuals for pre-school, grade school and high school levels.

In all the companies I worked for, I adhered to, and at times, formulated documentation standards and policies. In my work experience, I developed flexibility, having initiative, being a team-player, detail-oriented and self-motivated.

More power and hope to get in touch with you soon.

My Resume

Career Summary

Enrollment in graduate studies courses sharpened my technical skills in research and documentation. It trained me to look past media messages for a perceptive outlook on the real events happening within Philippine society. The analysis principles and application techniques can be adapted in other countries as well. Graduate studies combined with Web and textbook publishing professional experience allow me to interact with programmers, graphic designers and users for a good grasp of documentation requirements.

OBJECTIVE
To further hone technical skills in research and writing for in-depth documentation

WORK EXPERIENCE

February 2007-Present
Staff Writer, Public Affairs Office
Government Service Insurance System

• Prepares marketing collaterals such as print ads, flyers, posters, tarpaulins which includes writing text messages and graphics design
• Prepares press releases and newsletters including text messages and layouts
• Prepares Web pages

February-May, 2007
Attends press conferences
Attends to the overall organization of events especially preparation and operation of powerpoint shows using projector.

February-May, 2007
Various GSIS Program
Coordinated with Project Manager, prepared the marketing collaterals and the Web pages

May, 2007
GSIS Creative Brief
Interviewed key officials to gather relevant information as preparation for broadcast and print ads.

December 2002-January 2007
Sr. Web Content Developer Documentation Office
Information Technology Center – De La Salle University, Manila

Functions
• Wrote and edited articles for the various De La Salle University Web sites
• Performed Webmaster functions in the DLSU Pinas Web site
(http://pinas.dlsu.edu.ph)
• Created faculty Web sites
• Reviewed Web sites prior to launching
• Consolidated data, drew statistics from data culled from Web surveys, determined and implemented meta tags for easier Web searchability
• Wrote articles for publication in the University newsletter and office corkboard
• Created and designed secure online “fillable” portable document format (pdf) forms
• Prepared, maintained, finalized and filed office documents
• Maintained current and historical documentation of ITC policies and procedures
• Responded to user queries
• Prepared job advertisements
• Modified graphics as needed
• Maintained good public relations with users and other members of the academic community
• Submitted to the Center’s management periodic reports on process improvement, professional development, and assigned tasks
• Ensured that performance targets are met
• Ensured that all problems and solutions are escalated appropriately

Dec 2002-Jan 2007
DLSU Webmaster e-group member
Participated in the planning and implementation of the redesigned DLSU-Manila Web site. Implemented enhancements in the Web site such as creating Web pages and improving layout designs as needed. Constantly reviewed, implemented and improved meta tags for easier Web searchability.

Maintained office documentation. Determined proper categorization of Web pages and office documents.

Dec 2002-Jan 2007
DLSU Pinas Web site webmaster
Reviewed submitted Web sites for inclusion in the Web site. Formulated overviews about selected Web sites. Created Web pages, sections and graphics as needed.

Jan 2004-Jan 2007
Newsletter Writer and Corkboard Editor
Wrote articles for the university newsletter (now known as 2401). Wrote and edited the ITCorkboard, the office newsletter which published three times a year. This included technical, feature and news writing.

Reason for leaving: To practice technical writing in a government corporation


February 1999-November 2002
Editorial Assistant/Graphic Artist
Vibal Publishing House, Inc.

In the duration of my stay at the company, I was a Mac user.

Graphic Artist
• Prepared camera-ready copies for publication using a variety of techniques including Adobe PDF pre-press
• Modified illustrations as necessary

Jan 2001-Nov 2002
Math and Computer Books Graphic Artist
Layout and graphic artist responsible for the overall look and feel of all book pages.

Editorial Assistant
• Processed math and computer pre-school, elementary and secondary textbooks and teacher’s manuals primarily, and Student Digest, and Science and Technology (S&T) Digest
• Prepared signature plan

Feb 1999-Dec 2001
Math Book Editorial Assistant
Processed pre-school, elementary and secondary math books which included encoding, proofreading and editing. Responsible for the overall content of the book.

Reason for leaving: Practiced IT writing in a university setup

Aug.-Oct. 1998
Reporter Trainee stationed at the Research Department
BusinessWorld Publishing Corporation

• Formulated economic indicators regarding the agriculture and construction sectors
• Composed feature articles and corporate updates

Aug-Oct 1998
Reporter Trainee
Researched and wrote economic indicators, feature articles and corporate updates which includes interviewing key persons in corporations and industries.

Reason for leaving: Practiced editing educational books

May-Aug 1998
Secretary to the Home Development Mutual Fund Makati Branch Manager
Development Bank of the Philippines Service Corporation

• Coordinated with office units
• Categorized office documents for proper filing
• Prepared office correspondences

Reason for leaving: Practiced business writing

EDUCATION

May 2006-present
DE LA SALLE UNIVERSITY
Earned 15 units in Master of Arts in Communication major in Applied Media Studies.

1994 – 1998
CENTRO ESCOLAR UNIVERSITY
Graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communication major in Journalism,
May 1998.

COMPUTER AND TECHNOLOGY SKILLS
Microsoft Office (Intermediate)
Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional (Intermediate)
Adobe Pagemaker 7.0 (Expert)
Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004 (Intermediate)
Adobe Illustrator CS2 (Intermediate)
Adobe Photoshop CS2 (Intermediate)
Adobe Indesign CS2 (Beginner)

TRAININGS ATTENDED

• User Interface Design and Web Usability
DLSU ITC-Systems Management Office and Industrial Engineering Department
November 10, 13, 15, 2006

• Making Corporate Presentation Materials:
Tools, Tips and Techniques for Multimedia Presentation and Web Publishing
Fiera de Manila
April 22, 2006

• Advanced Indesign CS2 Training
Philippine Center for Creative Imaging
February 10-12, 2005

• The Customer is Always... The Customer
DLSU-ITC
September 1, 2005

• Advanced Illustrator CS Training
DLSU-ITC
May 26-27, 2005

• Advanced Excel Training
DLSU-ITC
April 27, 2005

• Learning Photoshop CS Beyond the Basics
Fiera de Manila, Inc
April 13, 2005

• Advanced Retouching Techniques with Photoshop CS
Fiera de Manila, Inc.
April 13, 2005

• Microsoft Office Powertips: Extending the Limits of Knowledge
Microsoft Philippines
October 25, 2004

• Advertising Design
DLS-College of St. Benilde sit-in student
2nd term SY 2004-2005

• CSS Tips and Tricks in Macromedia Dreamweaver MX
Philippine Trade Training Center
June 18, 2004

• Macromedia Flash MX 2004 for Corporate Presentation
Philippine Trade Training Center
June 18, 2004

• Modern Project Management
Professional Systems Synergy, Inc.
February 18-19, 2004

• 5S (Good Housekeeping Practices) Orientation Seminar
DLSU-ITC
October 28, 2003

• Fast Track to Dreamweaver MX
Philippine Center for Creative Imaging
September 15-17, 2003

• Effective Application of Media and Technology in the Classroom
DLSU Center for Educational Multimedia
June 23, 2003

• Streaming Video Echo Seminar
DLSU-ITC
January, 2003

• Workshop on Reporting Poverty Statistics and Related Issues
National Economic Development Authority (NEDA) and Economic Journalists Association of the Philippines (EJAP)
October 10, 1998

CAREER SERVICE PROFESSIONAL EXAM ELIGIBLE

85.68% (rating)


ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

At present, I am a member of the Philippine Computer Society.

In the duration of my stay at the DLSU IT Center, I never missed a scheduled promotion. I was also a consistent Perfect Attendance Awardee. In my last school year of service, I was a member of the Excellence Award Committee. In the school years 2004-2006, I was elected secretary of the DLSU IT Professionals Assembly.

In my work experience, I developed flexibility, having initiative, being a team-player, detail-oriented and self-motivated.

No comments: