My Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My Special Day This Year

It was my birthday yesterday. Finally, I was able to enjoy it the way I wanted to in the last 5 years or so.

Monday after office, I attended the Singles for Christ (SFC) Christian Life Program (CLP) at La Salle. My birthday was announced. I just treated 4 of my friends to fast food. They asked me how I would celebrate THE DAY. I told them I plan to stay in bed all day. At exactly midnight, I received a text message from a good friend. When I got home, I watched a few episodes of Friends on DVD. Then I received another greeting at around 1:30 am. I slept at 2:00 a.m.

On the day of my birthday, there was light rain. I was so lazy waking up but I got up then went to MOA. When I checked my phone, I already received a number of text messages. As I told my friends that I had no special plans for THE DAY, they thoughtfully asked if I wanted to do lady stuff like have a facial treatment. I politely told them I was already out of the house. I had a set meal for one at The Aristocrat, watched the movie Body of Lies, had coffee and cake at Seattle's Best while I played Sudoku, attended mass at La Salle, went home and continued the DVD marathon.

Finally, I was able to enjoy my birthday without pressures of going out with family and friends and doing the things I want to without consultation with anyone. I truly appreciate their presence in my life but I felt that this year, I just want to keep my special day to do as I pleased when I wanted to. It was my simplest birthday.

Would I want to do it in the exact manner next year? I'll see what I am in the mood for when that time comes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have something in common – I love my family and friends a lot, even like them, but there are times that I just want to be on my own, do the things I like without having to check with them.