My Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Ask and You Shall Receive

Below is the homily shared by Fr. Rafael at the PGP Chapel of DLSU in October 6, 2005. The Gospel was Luke 11:5-13. Part of the Gospel was “Ask and you shall receive...” Fr. Rafael writes his homilies in a diary.

There was a time in my life when I could not believe what I just read:

“Ask and you shall receive.”

I prayed fervently but I didn’t get what I asked for. I knocked and I found nothing but a closed door. I was really disappointed and I didn’t want to pray anymore as well as attend masses. Why am I here saying this mass? It is because God didn’t answer my prayers.

If God gave me the beautiful girl I asked to be my wife, I will not be here.

If He gave me the opportunity to continue my engineering course abroad, I will not be here.

If He didn’t allow me to experience many unfortunate events and failures, I will not be here.

This means God knows better than I know what is best for me. Of course, what is best is His plan of providing a shepherd for His flock.

I realized that many of my prayers are selfish prayers. I found out that St. James was right. He said in his letter James 4:2-3:

“You cannot get what you want because you didn’t pray. But even when you do pray, your prayers are not answered because you pray/ask for selfish reasons.”

Then how should I pray? What should I ask for? I will pray a prayer asking and asking, seeking and knocking but let God decide what is best for me and His plans. Jesus says:

“If you who are wicked know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good things to those who ask Him?”

So keep on asking and praying. But if the answer is “No”, never be upset. God has another good plan. Don’t hang up, just hang on.

I asked God to take away my habit.
God said no. It is not for Me to take it away
but for you to give it up.

I asked God to grant me patience.
God said no. Patience is a by-product of tribulations
It isn’t granted. It is learned.

I asked God to give me happiness.
God said no. I give you blessings.
Happiness is up to you.

I asked God to spare me pain. God said no.
Suffering and pains draw you closer to Me.

I asked God for all things that I might enjoy life.
God said no. I give you life so you can enjoy all things.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

Anonymous said...

Hello there! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers?
I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked hard on.
Any recommendations?

my web blog; click here to go there now