My Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Empowering Desires

I went on a very enlightening retreat in the first week of March. One of my issues was that I felt I had no motivation in the last two years.

I remember a period in my life when I had no free time but didn’t feel tired. This was because I knew what I wanted and how to get it. Everything came so easily for me. There were even times when events favored my circumstances without conscious effort on my part.

In the retreat, I complained that I want to aspire for a goal but can’t see anything worth my time and energy. My wise retreat master told me that it could be because I don’t want to get disappointed at this point in my life. It struck me right at the core.

She gave me three activities that guided me to set worthwhile goals.

  1. The power of imagination
    This is simply seeing in my mind how I want the future to look like. It could be as simple as lying down on a blanket in a wide open field with cool breeze all around. I could be there contentedly assessing the circumstances of my life.
  1. Listing my goals
    This entails drawing a heart and putting in it a list of all the things that would truly make me happy. I was surprised to find out that the things I really hoped for are not that many and are actually easy to achieve.
  1. Envisioning the future
    This requires writing a letter to the person I am most comfortable with dated in the future, preferably around 10 years from now, looking back. In my case, this is my best friend. I told my best friend my status in life by then, the things that kept me busy in that time frame.

After I accomplished all three, I had a new perspective in life. I had a long-term goal and was able to formulate plans on how to achieve them. I discovered the desires that gave me direction, motivated and empowered me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»