My Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Sunday, May 06, 2007

My Search for Greener Pastures Abroad

I remember the application process I went through to land in my present job. It was a good thing I was obedient to my cousin’s gentle persuasions. I’m definitely more secure financially nowadays.

One time, a multinational company called me up and told me that they would like to interview me for a Web developer position. Was I surprised by that call. The lady informed me that they saw my outdated resume in a job Web site. When I put the phone down, I decided to update my online resume and post it in four Web sites. (Just now, I posted my standard cover letter and online resume in my other blog http://prechoose.blogs.friendster.com/precious_anne/2007/05/my_resume.html I also put a link to it from this blog's sidebar menu. Is this pretty close to obsession? or just plain vanity?) I made an excel file where I keep track of all the applications I made. Then I started sending it out to companies looking for Technical Writers. I removed all the names of the companies in this story.

One time, I received a job description from an Indian IT company based in the US. It has five offices throughout the US. I won’t deny the fact that I felt proud of myself again that one time. I even considered seriously applying for it. I asked my aunt to evaluate the company for me. She didn’t like it so I never applied to it.

Another time, I applied for a technical writer position but received an invitation for an interview for a sales position. Never in my wildest dreams did I even consider going into sales. It was a Chicago-based bank. Here is the content:

After reviewing your resume, we'd like to invite you to apply for our sales management training program at OUR Company.... To learn more or schedule an appointment with a recruiter, please reply to this email.

I told my mother about these two jokingly. She answered me seriously that I should consider the jobs... seriously. Come to think of it, I’m really more than ok here in the Philippines. I am a simple lady with simple dreams. My greatest joy is travelling once in a while. As long as I can do that, I’m more than ok.

Still, the look on my mother’s face when she told me that gave me the motivation I haven’t felt in a long while. It has actually given me a goal to aspire for. Now, I’m on a search for a job to get out of the Philippines. On the road to getting there, here are the rejection letters which amused me more than making me feel rejected.

1.
Thank you for sending your CV to our company. We regret that we do not have any vacancies suited to your background and therefore we will not be progressing with your application at this time. We wish you the very best in your future career.

2.
Many thanks for your application however our client cannot sponsor EU work visas so I cannot proceed any further.I wish you every success with your future job hunting.

There are also companies which soothe my ego once in a while, just like the job offer from the US company.

1.
This company has identified the following job which may be of interest to you. From the information you have registered with on our Web site and your recent application activity on our Web site you appear to closely match the requirements of the following job.

It even followed up on me when I didn’t submit my resume.

2.
The company has identified the following job which may be of interest to you. From the information you have registered with onin our Web site and your recent application activity on our Web site you appear to closely match the requirementsof the following job.The following job was posted on to our Web site by a companyPlease take a look at the job below and if you are interested, westrongly urge you to click on the appropriate link to fill in anapplication form.

Here is another resume evaluation offer I received.

The company is a Global IT Consulting company supporting clients such as SUN, Xerox, John Deere AmeriQuest and many fortune 50 companies around the world. The company is a turn key System Integrator Company, which means the opportunities are "on-going" not just for one project. The company is currently seeking a Project Manager/Developer in the Manhattan area. This is a Contract opportunity for 3 to 6 months plus extensions. The salary range will vary in accordance to previous experience and this will be determined after your interview with the Management Team.

Please send a word resume along with salary requirements and we will contact you for an interview.

I showed my friend the letter below and it seems I misinterpreted this one. I told her that I was, once again, rejected. She said I was seriously considered for the position, meaning I actually qualified for the job, but there are people better qualified than I am.

Thank you for your recent interest in registering with our company for the position of Technical Writer.

Unfortunately I must advise you that, on this occasion, we are unable to take your application further due to the high standard of applications received.

I’m still here in the Philippines so my numerous applications haven’t paid off just yet. Come to think of it, I honestly don’t know if I want to leave the comforts of living in the Philippines.

No comments: