My Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Saturday, November 03, 2007

A Long Weekend

I always look forward to All Saints' Day. This is the only time of the year when my mom allows me to go home to the province. (The reason for this is another story). I was really glad that this year, the local elections fell on this week as well which gave me an excuse to spend five whole days in Mindoro.

Going home to Mindoro is like a personal retreat for me. Our home gives me the physical space conducive to thinking about what I have been doing lately. This puts my perspective in place.

I hardly had time to get bored because I juggled savoring the silence, playing Sudoku, surfing the TV and layouting the Philippine Parkin. This is the official newsletter of the Parkinson's Support Group of the Philippines Foundation (PSGPF).

After I got well, I told my neurologist that I want to help the PSGPF in any way I can. I told him I can write, edit, layout a newsletter or maintain a Web page. He assigned me to write and layout the Philippine Parkin. At first, I was quite shy in dedicating two pages for my healing story. As I went along layouting, I realized that I lacked articles and went ahead with it anyway.

Truth be known, I am actually quite excited with this project. I see it as a project that is worth doing though I know I won't get paid for it. Though I haven't finished one edition yet, I am quite fulfilled working on it.

When I came back to Manila, I was surprised to receive an e-mail from a part-time job my friend told me about. It is not because someone actually replied but because the e-mail has a surprising content. My friend told me that when she applied for the job, she was accepted at once, and was given an article to edit right away. She even forwarded to me the mechanics of editing because by that time, I haven't submitted my resume yet.

The e-mail to me was different. First, it came from an American. He said in his e-mail that I need to work on the attached test file and then I will be scheduled for an interview. I am just curious as to why my friend and I went through different processes. I finished working on the article just now.

No comments: