My Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

I'm Back in School

I can’t believe I have free time in my hands now. So, I’ll just update you with what I’m busy with.

Towards the end of summer, I was actually excited to go back to school. Presently, I am taking up MA in Communication major in Applied Media Studies at the De La Salle University. Why I enrolled is another story. :)

At the start, I was awed by the names of the professors when I got to know them! One was a Fulbright scholar with postgraduate degrees earned at the Stanford University and Columbia University’s Teachers College, and the other one is hailed as one of the greatest Filipino writers now!

To say that it was the start of a hectic academic life is an understatement! In both subjects, the first question was “What is the thesis statement?” Now, 10 weeks into the first trimester, I have lost track of how many times I have heard it. One subject required reading 150-200 pages a week to come up with a reaction paper 2 pages long, double spaced 12 points Times New Roman. Now, the names McLuhan, Adorno, Horkheimer, Marcuse, Kellner, Mattleart, among others, march in my mind in my sleep.

In spite of this, I can honestly say that I am enjoying being a working student. One reason is the class is small, just 15 students. They area all OK. Nobody minds if some of the questions we ask are no-brainers, mainly because we are graduates of different degrees. What one may have studied in the past may be a completely new thing to another.

One challenge I face is organizing a group meeting for just three people. Since all of us are working and our offices are far from each other’s we learned to set our priorities straight so we can work on a requirement, our beloved final project.

Overall, the first trimester of graduate school is fun, challenging, exciting, sometimes humiliating, and rewarding, but definitely worth all the effort and time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»