My Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Me and My Angels

When it rains it pours. Sure, I have my own share of problems nowadays but God made it up to me yesterday by giving me blessings even before I asked for them. Since all the friends I have now have passed my criteria for friendship, they were elevated a notch higher yesterday. Hence, they were transformed as my personal angels.

ANGEL NUMBER 1is literally an angel. She is barely three months old. Her parents were worried about her because she had seizures a few days ago. This baby angel’s grandma heard in a mass that a priest would officiate a healing mass the following day. This baby’s aunt, my officemate, remembered me and called me up at once.

Hence, ANGEL NUMBER 2 is my officemate. My officemate reminded me that since it would be a healing mass, the only thing I can hold on to, should I attend it, is my strong faith.. I attended it, partially because I thought that my sickness has no cure and faith is all I can hold on to.

ANGEL NUMBER 3 is a Filipino priest. He is known the world over as an instrument of Christ through his healing masses. He emphasized over and over again that it is the faith of the people that heals them and he is just a vessel.

Many miracles were performed through him on that day. Believe me when I say that more than 10 people who got around with assistance and in wheelchairs were able to walk unaided after the priest touched them. Just witnessing those were enough to make anybody feel God’s warm and loving presence.

Though the crowd gathered around him, I was able to tell him about my limp and he simply told me, it would go away. Lo and behold! My walk improved significantly immediately after. My limp was almost gone as I was on my way home. I was even bold enough to skip my scheduled medicine intake.

I was scheduled to consult a different neurologist that day. As I assessed I was completely healed, I cancelled my appointment with him. I told ANGEL NUMBER 4, another friend, about everything. She wisely told me to go to my doctor’s appointment. Thank God, I followed her advice. However, I should back out a little, before I continue with this story.

At the beginning, when no doctors who could identify my sickness, I searched for a Filipino neurologist and I saw one US-based who has cured disorders like mine. I e-mailed him and told him about my limp. He replied after more than a month and told me that he would come to the Philippines. He also informed me that I might like to attend a support group session with members composing of people like me. (I later found out that he was the founder of the support group meeting I attended.)

So I attended the session and set up a consultation schedule with ANGEL NUMBER 5, my neurologist. The appointment was set on the afternoon of the healing mass. This neurologist advocated the Robin Hood mentality though with a modern twist. He determines his consultation fee according to the financial capacity of the patient. He was very thorough in his tests. All in all, the way he performed his tests and the way he talked about the support group, I felt that he was genuinely happy in helping the people who come to him and he is deeply concerned with all the people he was attending to.

When I went home, I called up my closest friends, my FLOCK OF ANGELS, to tell them the best news about me in a long time. I was surprised to find out that they were all praying hard for my well-being. They prayed for me silently because they didn’t want me to worry much about my condition. Needless to say, my heart was revitalized. I cannot recall the number of times I cried on July 31, 2006. It was a truly magically blessed day.

No comments: