My Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Monday, August 14, 2006

Things I Never Knew I Never Knew

My officemate who is taking up MS Info Tech asked the activities we do in MA classes. I told him that in fulfillment of my class requirements, I got to interview a great writer (Pablo S. Gomez), I attended the Urian Awards night, I watched 3 movies and read a great book, among others. As I was recounting these things to him, I was smiling from ear to ear.

He asked me if we didn’t have writing requirements at all. I told him that on the average, we read 150-200 pages a week in order to write a 2-page double-spaced reaction paper in 12 points Times New Roman. I told him that we were also asked to read a whole book in a week’s time and write a review about it. I told him I seldom go out with my friends because I simply don’t have the time.

With his eyebrows joining in a frown, he said he couldn’t understand why he senses genuine joy when I recounted the class activities. That it because, in all honesty, I really enjoy what I’m doing. All my habits are “legitimized” by school requirements, e.g., watching movies and reading books. Getting decent grades for it is just the icing on the cake.

I really like the knowledge I gain in the classes. I love learning about the interplay of communication, culture and technology, looking at technology through sociologists’ eyes, the events in history that shape mass media particularly movie themes, among others. I also like critiquing published books. It makes me feel that I am learning to question printed materials, that had I read at the start of the year, would have accepted as unquestionable facts. My opinions are suddenly validated by my professor, my classmates who are from related but different fields too.

This is my first trimester in Master’s class. I’m 2 weeks away from finishing 2 subjects. With the little knowledge I have gained so far, I honestly feel that I have learned a lot and there are a lot more interesting topics that I will get to know. I’m truly excited to know more things I never knew I never knew.

No comments: