My Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Friday, August 25, 2006

Thinking Out Loud

Some of my friends say that I always see the silver lining in most situations. In my point of view, as the cliché goes, it’s all a matter of perspective. The glass is either half-empty or half-full. Personally, it’s a matter of choice. I choose to magnify the good things in life while resolving the small issues. For example, I know my brain is not working at optimum level, yet I cannot complain because I comprehend lessons in Master’s classes well and I still have a sunny disposition. It actually takes little to make me happy.

My cousin told me about a job opening in a top-earning government office. The first time I knew about it earlier this year, I immediately submitted my credentials. Needless to say, I wasn’t able to get in the first time. An office insider told me that I was actually considered till the very last step but the office chose the internal applicant. I just shrugged it off because I still like working in my present office.

For some reason, the person chosen for the said position declined the job offer. As a result, the office once again posted the job opening. Again, I applied for it by submitting the same set of credentials but this time, I did it half-heartedly only. Mainly because I heard that it was a position co-terminus with the head of the agency. If course I want a permanent position with plantilla. However, this time, I was invited to take the written examination and job interview.

The written exam was divided into five parts, spelling, plural form of nouns, formulating the slogan from a short paragraph, formulating an advertising copy from a technical article, and business report writing. I suddenly remembered why I resigned from business report writing. It takes too much comprehension and analytical skills that at the end of the day, I am physically exhausted that my head literally aches.

During the exam, the office big boss acted like a hostess who felt that we needed to be entertained WHILE taking the exam. She told us some office concerns and surprisingly, she even informed us that her senior staff members conducted the interviews and she just approved of their recommendations.

The following day, the same office insider who informed me of the job opening again told me that I was being considered seriously for the position by the senior staff members who would conduct the interviews. However, their big boss has another preference.

Considering the perks of the position, I am actually thinking seriously about getting in that office. I originally applied for the job because I didn’t want my cousin to think I was ungrateful she informed me of the opening. Now that I know the perks offered by the position, I really want to get that job. I need the financial security it will offer because I have to earn well while I can considering my health.

I’ll just follow what another cliché goes, “Do your best and God will do the rest.”

No comments: