My Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Saturday, April 14, 2007

The Official Start of Summer '07

I know I said my next blog will be about global warming. That was because I thought my life would be as uneventful as most of the times. Oh well, this entry proves me wrong.

"No more classes... no more books... no more teachers' dirty looks... summer time... summer time..."

This is the only Elmer Fudd quote I distinctly remember from Looney Tunes' Bugs Bunny cartoons. This is my exact sentiment now that I have already submitted the required papers and I actually have time to spend with friends simply to relax.

Surprisingly, I finished my work load for the day around 4:00 pm Thursday. I at once called my best friend and told her we should have dinner. We haven't seen each other and talked long on the phone for over a month!

She waited for me patiently in a fastfood near her office. We had dinner and coffee for over three hours. Believe me, there were no dead spots while we were eating. We would have gone on forever if not for the restriction that she had more than an hour's travel time to go home and we were also exhausted by office deadlines. It was so much fun simply hanging out.

Tuesday last week, a classmate and I planned a gimmick. We chatted online one time and wished just to hang out with each other on a Friday night. This is because from January-March this year, we had 8:00 am Saturday classes. So for three whole months, we were deprived of Friday night gimmicks just so we could be in class on time. I don't want to dwell on that unpleasant past so moving on to what happened yesterday, Friday.

I am beginning to think of why I thought I could plan after office Friday activities. For three consecutive Fridays, office work load was easy until 4:00 pm when we had "mini office crises." That meant leaving office at 7:00 pm when I planned of spending relaxing Friday nights.

Yesterday, around 10:00 am, my officemate asked what I was doing. I told him I was writing an article for the Annual Report. He asked me to prepare press kits as they are hosting a press conference. I willingly obliged because I thought I could work quietly after they left. Then, my boss passed me by and asked me to go with them. The event dragged on forever. I told my officemates I had some scheduled functions to attend and they let me go before the event ended.

I went home to get my gift to attend my niece's Fourth Birthday Party. The traffic was impossible so I wasn't able to attend it anyway.

Then my classmate picked me up so we could go to our gimmick. So there we were, six classmates. It was so much fun. We went to the dampa in Macapagal Avenue and went through the whole experience, from shopping in the wet market, to dining in my classmate's cozy little restaurant. The dinner lasted till 10:30. It was full of classroom stories, plenty of food and laughter.

After that, we had coffee in Sofitel Philippine Plaza's lobby where we took our shoes off and sat/lied on the couch without care for how we looked. We talked about serious boy-girl matters, specifically, how we single ladies could attract the right types of guys. We separated at 1:00 am full of plans for more gimmicks, hope for the future and happy memories. It was a perfect night.

This morning, I woke up and read a text message from my sister-in-law. She had a family concern and I thought of ways on how to help her. It was a good thing that we were able to ease her mind. In times like this, I feel blest that I am able to extend a helping hand to the people I love most. In spite of that happy thought, I am also concerned that my capacity to help her in financial ways only will soon be taken away from me too if I always have unplanned expenses like these.

Today, simply put, I spent the whole day sleeping. Believe me, that is no exaggeration. I felt that I was deprived of sleep because of January to March 8:00 am classes. I planned to wash my clothes because I am going on vacation next week with friends. That plan remains a plan at the time i am writing this entry.

Tonight, I will go to my aunt's house to send my tito back to the US. He was so nice, he gave me more than enough pasalubong when he came. Whatever happens tomorrow, Sunday, I know I am ready to take on all the office stresses and work load they will give me. After all, I have a gimmick to look forward to again.

No comments: